Missing Dependencies on CentOS Image

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Aug 3 04:50:20 UTC 2012

[I am not using these images nor am I connected to these in any means.]

On 08/03/2012 05:59 AM, Kevin Polulak wrote:
> While using the RTEMS CentOS image
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtems-vms/> to setup a new development
> environment on my laptop, I ran into the missing libmpc dependency error
> again.

The CentOS6 rpms require the EPEL6 repository to be added to the yum
configuration.

This is because, CentOS is a server OS, which (deliberately) does not
supply many packages, one would need in a development environment.
You'll need to pull these from other sources. One possibile solution
would be to statically link during building the toolchain rpms, another
one is dynamically link against packages from 3rd party add-on repositories.

As static linkage is a short sighted and often inapplicable approach, I
resorted to using the latter alternative and am using the latter
approach - The packages missing in CentOS6 are pulled from EPEL6.

> What I'm getting at though is, shouldn't stuff like this be included
> with the image from the start? That is, shouldn't the image already have
> things like libmpc installed?
Yes. I don't know how these images were composed, but it actually means,
these images were not set up correctly/properly.

> As a side note, the bootstrap script fails until a newer version of
> autotools in installed.

;)

  As mentioned many times before, bootrapping has always required the
rtems autotools being used. That said, it could be your autotool issue
could be an issue with your user's $PATH.

Whether vendor-supplied versions of the autotools work, is mere random
luck. The older a hosting OS is, the less likely it is, the vendor
supplied versions work.

> Perhaps it's time the CentOS image got an update
> overhaul?
I'd guess so ;)

Ralf