autoconf 2.69 is giving me a hard time

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Aug 22 17:16:03 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 07:07 PM, Claas Ziemke wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:56:07 +0200
> > From: ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
> > To: der_stuttgarter_25 at hotmail.de
> > CC: rtems-devel at rtems.org; rtems-gsoc at rtems.org
> > Subject: Re: autoconf 2.69 is giving me a hard time
> >
> > On 08/22/2012 06:36 PM, Claas Ziemke wrote:
> > > hi everybody,
> > >
> > > i have a little problem here... the master branch of rtems moved on to
> > > autoconf 2.69 which means i can only build rtems after i rebuild
> the whole
> > > toolchain.
> >
> > How that? You must be doing something wrong.
>
> ok, then i missread the documentation
>

> > > and that is only a couple of days before deadline.
> >
> > autoconf-2.69 was released ca. 1/2 year ago and had been required by
>
> it was released by upstream 1/2 year ago, but i dont know any linux
> distribution shipping it already. 2.68 is shipped with any major distro,
... and? rtems/master is the bleeding edge, so we use the bleeding edge
toolchain.

> also with gentoo which i a m using, so i wasnt aware of any
> rtems-autconf at all...
Your poison, your problem ;)

Apart of this, building a local version of the autotools is close to
being trivial:

export PATH=$(HOME)/rtems/bin:$PATH

tar xf autoconf-2.69.tar.xz
cd autoconf-2.69
./configure --prefix=$(HOME)/rtems
make
make install
cd ..

tar xf automake-1.12.2.tar.xz
cd automake-1.12.2
./configure --prefix=$(HOME)/rtems
make
make install
cd ..

Then use this auto-toolset to regenerate RTEMS source-tree:

export PATH=$(HOME)/rtems/bin:$PATH
cd <git clone rtems-source-tree>
./bootstrap

> > > i have rebased my code as requested but now i have NO means of testing
> > > it...
> >
> > > any advice? i briefly read about how to rebuild the toolchain, but
> that
>
> still... any advice? shall i just rebuild the toolSET?
>
> > > seems quite complicated to do on the last few days...
> >
> > RTEMS requiring autoconf-2.69 is not connected to the toolchain at all.
>
> yes ok... its NOT the toolchain, i ment toolSET sorry for the
> confusion...  but i cant bootstrap anymore which is.... not ideal...
See above.

Ralf