[GSOC] RPi BSP RTEMS

Alan Cudmore alan.cudmore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 14:34:11 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Andre Marques <
andre.lousa.marques at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'm taking this conversation to the list.
>

> Sorry, I didn't realize that I did not reply to the list.

> On 04/23/14 01:21, Alan Cudmore wrote:
>

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Andre Marques <
> andre.lousa.marques at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am very pleased to have the opportunity to participate in GSoC with the
>> RTEMS project!
>>

>  Welcome! We are glad to have you helping RTEMS.
>

>> Now, I have some questions:
>>
>> 1. Does anyone have any recommendation on the proposal?
>>

>  I like the proposal, but there are a couple of things that may change
> slightly:
> 1. You may want to look into making the UART driver work in interrupt
> driven mode, as it is currently polled.
>

> I will have a look at it.
>

> 2. For the Framebuffer support, I have been talking to someone off list
> that is making progress on implementing a framebuffer driver. We may want
> to collaborate with this person for the framebuffer.
>

> Certainly. I was scheduling the framebuffer work for July, should that be
> re-scheduled?

July may still work. This gives us time to see what gets accomplished and
the work can be integrating it into the RTEMS tree and testing.

>> 2. Is there any interesting documentation or code you think I should be
>> looking at right now? For the past month I have been studying the RPi BSP
>> code and the RPi architecture for the emmc driver that I am doing for my
>> final project at the university.
>>
>>  From what I can see, you are off to a very good start!
>

>> 3. There is no wiki page for the Raspberry Pi BSP (at least I have not
>> found any yet). May I create one using the Open Project template and link
>> it in the Open Projects page under the BSP section?
>>

>  I did not create one, so please do.
>

>> 4. I will create a dedicated development blog for the project very soon.
>> How frequently should it be updated until may 19?
>>
>> 5. How should the communication happen? Also I am not sure if the Amar
>> Takhar and Muhammad Adnan e-mails are the correct ones.
>>
>> I will also be setting a github repository for this, and I am also
>> looking to get my own RPi and some peripherals (I have one at the
>> university right now).
>>

>  I have been setting up my Pi for RTEMS development again. I recently
> built u-boot and I am going to try to get it to boot RTEMS images from a
> TFTP server. This may help speed up development.
>
>  I am also trying out a FT2232H MiniMod evaluation board that is supposed
> to work with the Raspberry Pi JTAG interface and the OpenOCD project. It
> also serves as the USB uart connector. I have it all wired up and I hope to
> try getting it to talk to OpenOCD soon. If I get it working, I will
> document everything. The FT2232H Minimod board was $20 USD.
>

> Nice. Looking forward to that, as I still need to look at the debugging
> part of the development.

The FT2232H MiniMod is working so far! I am able to use the UART and at the
same time load and run images over the JTAG interface using OpenOCD. Next,
I plan on trying GDB. I will try to document the setup soon, but it just
requires ~10 jumper wires to connect the MiniMod to the Pi GPIO header.

I need to use it, because I discovered that the RKI image no longer runs on
the Pi. The samples such as ticker still work, so I'm sure it is a problem
with the RKI code itself.

> Meanwhile I have set up a development blog and a google calendar for the
> project:
>
> http://asuolgsoc2014.wordpress.com/
>

> https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mo5guprvls0ip24rnrjio4ogks%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/Lisbon
>
> I will try to come up with more news during the weekend.

Looks good.

Alan