[GSoC] Porting RTEMS to OpenRISC - Status Report 1

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri May 2 23:09:49 UTC 2014

On 3/05/2014 8:39 am, Hesham Moustafa wrote:
> I can add configuration files to build the whole tool-chain for RTEMS.
> The issue is: which repo(s) RSB should reference? Currently, the RSB
> patches on my repo [1] reference/download gcc-4.8.2, newlib-2.1.0 and
> binutils-2.24 releases. This way, I had to apply the whole or1k/RTEMS
> patches to these releases.
>
> Another way is to reference my openrisc/or1k-gcc and openrisc/or1k-sim
> forked repo(s) (with my changes to build for RTEMS). That will be the
> easiest approach.

The closer we follow the standard method we use in RTEMS the simpler it
is when we get to the end of the project, ie nothing to do. This means
the main RSB repo with the patches in the rtems-tools.git repo. Let me
know when you want me to pull your changes and I will do this.
References to git repos leaves the source on the user's disk. It is fine
in testing however we should attempt to limit its use.

If the full repo is easy for you to maintain then I suggest you do this.
The RSB allows user macros via the command line and here you can
override the standard source and patches and reference something else.
There are examples of referencing gcc's git repo.

> About the simulator, I can make RSB build or1ksim as a separate
> package, or when building or1k-rtems4.11-*, which approach is better?
> I noticed that QEMU and other simulators are not built from RSB.

Please make it a separate package under the bare tree in the RSB. There
is a qemu example somewhere there.