Updates and Problems on "Raspberry Pi USB and Ethernet Support" Project

Deval Shah deval.maker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 14:37:56 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I am trying to add usb_ethernet (smsc) driver for raspberry pi for both USB
and Ethernet support.

Now I have added the required files. But the USB device is not getting
power. To get the compilation error-less, I have applied a hack.

if_smsc.c is using the function “usbd_m_copy_in” which is present in the
file sys/dev/usb/usb_busdma.c. But due to this macro #if USB_HAVE_MBUF the
function was not getting compiled. So I have commented out the macro and
let the function compile.

Now ideally I should have used the DMA controller. Here I don't know the
status of DMA's functions and their usage. Any pointers on that ?

I believe the problem is secondary for the USB to function. Anyhow the USB
devices should get the power if the code is added. I suspect there is no
proper linking between the drivers. (i.e. dwcotg, bcm283x_dwcotg, ushub,
smsc, uhub, usb.) I would like some insights on how these interact.

I have added following lines in the nexus-devices.h file under
Raspberry-pi-BSP.

SYSINIT_DRIVER_REFERENCE(bcm283x_dwcotg, nexus);

SYSINIT_DRIVER_REFERENCE(smsc, uhub);

SYSINIT_DRIVER_REFERENCE(smsc, uether);

SYSINIT_DRIVER_REFERENCE(smsc, usb);

SYSINIT_DRIVER_REFERENCE(smsc, ether);

SYSINIT_DRIVER_REFERENCE(smsc, miibus);

I am also attaching the log of INIT01 Test.

I need help at this point. I am kind of stuck here.

Thank you in advance.

Deval Shah