Name for Strong APA Scheduler?

Darshit Shah darnir at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 09:13:21 UTC 2016

On 03/31, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>Hello,
>
>since the GSoC project to implement an optimized SMP scheduler with
>strong APA (Arbitrary Processor Affinity) support seems to take shape
>it would be good to create a name for this scheduler.
>
>https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/5199580018769920/proposal/4779451107770368/

The proposal on the website is not publicly accessible. However, I've
made the Google Docs version publicly accessible:
https://goo.gl/UmgS61

>I need this name to generate the skeleton files for the scheduler
>implementation and its configuration.
>
>My preference is APA, since three letter acronyms are quite popular,
>like EDF and CBS. So, I would omit that we actually support strong APA
>in the name. From my point of view a weak APA scheduler makes no sense
>for a supposed to be real-time operating system. In the documentation
>we should emphasis this.

I agree that a three letter acronym is quite popular and would make
things easy, but I would still support strong APA as the name since it
clearly states what the scheduler is doing.

>New files are for example:
>
>cpukit/score/include/rtems/score/schedulerapa.h
>cpukit/score/include/rtems/score/schedulerapaimpl.h
>cpukit/score/src/schedulerapa.c

Going by some of the existing filenames, I thought the files should be
called `schedulerapasmp.c` and similarly for others. That is also the
name I used in the proposal.

--
Thanking You,
Darshit Shah