Name for Strong APA Scheduler?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Mar 31 09:17:08 UTC 2016

On 31/03/16 11:13, Darshit Shah wrote:

>> I need this name to generate the skeleton files for the scheduler
>> implementation and its configuration.
>>
>> My preference is APA, since three letter acronyms are quite popular,
>> like EDF and CBS. So, I would omit that we actually support strong
>> APA in the name. From my point of view a weak APA scheduler makes no
>> sense for a supposed to be real-time operating system. In the
>> documentation we should emphasis this.
>
> I agree that a three letter acronym is quite popular and would make
> things easy, but I would still support strong APA as the name since it
> clearly states what the scheduler is doing.

So, you suggest "Strong APA"?

>> New files are for example:
>>
>> cpukit/score/include/rtems/score/schedulerapa.h
>> cpukit/score/include/rtems/score/schedulerapaimpl.h
>> cpukit/score/src/schedulerapa.c
>>
> Going by some of the existing filenames, I thought the files should be
> called `schedulerapasmp.c` and similarly for others. That is also the
> name I used in the proposal.

Its implicitly clear that APA has something to do with SMP. The other
schedulers need the SMP in their name since we have basically two
version of them, non-SMP (no postfix) and SMP.

How about:

cpukit/score/include/rtems/score/schedulerstrongapa.h
cpukit/score/include/rtems/score/schedulerstrongapaimpl.h
cpukit/score/src/schedulerstrongapa.c

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de