RSB build failure

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun Mar 18 03:11:34 UTC 2018

On 17/3/18 9:00 pm, Amaan Cheval wrote:
>> checking for python...
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python
>> checking for python2.7... no
>> configure: error: python is missing or unusable
>
> That looks like the problem (at least on the surface). macOS does come with
> Python built-in, but I don't believe that's good enough for development

The default Python is fine for use with GDB and the RSB. There is no problem
with the default provided by Apple on MacOS.

$ uname -a
Darwin huia 17.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 17.4.0: Sun Dec 17 09:19:54 PST 2017;
root:xnu-4570.41.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
$ type python
python is /usr/bin/python
$ python --version
Python 2.7.10
$ python
Python 2.7.10 (default, Jul 15 2017, 17:16:57)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 9.0.0 (clang-900.0.31)] on darwin
>>> ^D

Finally this a recent build result on a Mac Mini I have set up to check RTEMS
builds:

https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/build/2018-February/000521.html

I have XCode installed with the command line package.

> (vague memories only of issues)

I have been testing on a range of MacOS versions over the years and I have not
seen any issues report. If you have seen issues or you know of reports please
let me know.

> - have you installed Python separately too?

If yo do this or you are using homebrew, mscports or something else then you may
have issues and you will need to look for support with those packaging projects.

I do not have any packages from homebrew or macports so we know the RSB is working.