New Build System Status

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Nov 25 08:12:05 UTC 2019

On 25/11/2019 08:55, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> The RSB can use python2 or python3 without a python. What about a note to say
>>> ... "Waf uses python and you need to make this command available on your system".
>> Now I am a bit confused. I thought every UNIX-like system provides a
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/env python
>>
>> which maps to Python 2 or 3?
>>
> Apparently on some distros the python executable is not automatically installed
> with a suitable python2 or python3. I am not aware of the specifics of this but
> it was raised as an issue that I fixed in the RSB:
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3537

I have never seen a system in which

#!/usr/bin/env python2

or

#!/usr/bin/env python3

works, but not

#!/usr/bin/env python

How many Python scripts would stop to work in this case? However, the
availability of a python command is not mandatory according to:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

I think we should note in the "Host Computer" section that a "python"
command is mandatory for RTEMS and remove the RSB extra stuff.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de