New Build System Status

Hesham Almatary hesham.almatary at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 12:17:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 at 11:59, Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> On 27/11/2019 12:49, Hesham Almatary wrote:
> > Hi Sebastian,
> >
> > Thanks for that great effort. I'd aim to use this build system for my
> > RISC-V development.
> >
> > I followed the user manual trying to build RISC-V targets and RTEMS
> > (aaf7f8b84) and here are a few comments:
> >
> > * .waf bsp_defaults doesn't give an error when mistyping the BSP name,
> > but just outputs an empty .ini file.
>
> If there is no matching BSP, then you get nothing. I think this is the
> right thing to do. Doing a
>
> ./waf bsp_defaults --rtems-bsps=riscv/rv64imac_medany  > bsps.ini
>
> is not a recommended use case. You should only set the necessary minimum
> of options.

Not sure, I only wanted to build a specific BSP variant without having
to build all variants. Is that not recommended?

> > * ./waf complains about not finding gcc if I don't give it the
> > --prefix, even though it's in my PATH
>
> Yes, this is currently the intentional behaviour. Should this be changed to
>
> conf.find_program(XYZ, path_list=tools +
> environ.get('PATH','').split(os.pathsep))
>
> ?
I think that makes sense (also for default prefix?), but it would
still be useful to be able to override that with --prefix to use
different installed toolchains if needed.

> > * dltests fail to build on RISC-V when BUILD_TESTS = True
>
> Yes, this is work in progress. I should work now.

Thanks.

> > * Can't find  any "*.exe" after a default build:
>
> Ok, this is a bug, you should find the samples.

Is it reproducible?

> > * Can't notice a difference when I pass rtems-compiler=clang, it still
> > builds with gcc.
>
> You have to set the compiler in the config.ini file, see latest user
> documentation:

Thanks it works fine when I add the flag to config.ini. Is
rtems-compiler=clang useless this way?