Use YAML configuration files for the build?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Oct 4 17:50:51 UTC 2019

----- Am 4. Okt 2019 um 19:41 schrieb joel joel at rtems.org:

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 12:25 PM Sebastian Huber <
> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>
>> ----- Am 4. Okt 2019 um 16:15 schrieb joel joel at rtems.org:

>> > For what purpose?
>>
>> To store the items which define what and how the build is done, e.g. BSPs,
>> BSP options, libraries, file groups for libraries, test programs.
>>

> pkgconfig type information?

No, not pkgconfig type information.

> Would this all be generated or a manually prepared input?

The YAML files are not generated, they have to be filled manually with the help of Doorstop.

>> > To achieve what end?
>>
>> Make it possible to re-use the build specification, e.g. generate
>> documentation of the BSP options for the user manual.
>>

> Sounds like pkgconfig in Yaml format.
>
> Is it different?

I don't know why you picked up pkgconfig.  The pkgconfig support for a BSP could be an artefact of the build process.

At the moment I just would like to know if a PyYAML dependency would be an issue. I will try to explain later in detail why I would like to use it.