Use YAML configuration files for the build?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Oct 4 17:56:35 UTC 2019

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 12:50 PM Sebastian Huber <

> ----- Am 4. Okt 2019 um 19:41 schrieb joel joel at rtems.org:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 12:25 PM Sebastian Huber <
> > sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> system.

> >> To store the items which define what and how the build is done, e.g.
> BSPs,
> >> BSP options, libraries, file groups for libraries, test programs.
> >>

> > pkgconfig type information?
>
> No, not pkgconfig type information.
>

> > Would this all be generated or a manually prepared input?
>
> The YAML files are not generated, they have to be filled manually with the
> help of Doorstop.

> >> Make it possible to re-use the build specification, e.g. generate
> >> documentation of the BSP options for the user manual.
> >>

> > Sounds like pkgconfig in Yaml format.
> >
> > Is it different?
>
> I don't know why you picked up pkgconfig.  The pkgconfig support for a BSP
> could be an artefact of the build process.

I said pkgconfig type information -- not pkgconfig. You mentioned compile
settings like flags, libraries, etc  which is the type of information in
pkgconfig.

> At the moment I just would like to know if a PyYAML dependency would be an
> issue. I will try to explain later in detail why I would like to use it.

I'm not the Python expert but it is supported by 2.7 and newer so that's
good. And it installs via pip which is good.

I don't think it's part of the base Python libraries but as long as it is
packaged via pip, that meets the same level of support Sphinx has.

I can't speak to the stability of its APIs.

--joel