[rtems-docs commit] c-user: Generate Timer Manager documentation

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Dec 17 21:00:14 UTC 2020

On 18/12/20 1:49 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 16/12/2020 00:30, Chris Johns wrote:
>> I am with Gedare and prefer we all engage in a solution to cross-links in the
>> documentation. Maybe that can be a separate topic from the links here and we
>> separate the issue into cross-links and these links. I am sure these links may
>> appear in places outside of the documentation.
>>
>> I suggest we provide a bug page link.
> I can change the link as soon as we have a bug page link.
>> The regeneration link is much harder.
>> Could it be explained in words and we avoid a link ....
>>
>>    For information on updating and regenerating please refer to the
>>    How To section of the Software Engineering Manual. The Software
>>    Engineering Manual is provided as a part of a release. For development
>>    sources please refer to the online development documentation at
>>    https://docs.rtems.org.
> For a user this is more work compared to just going to:
>
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/eng/req/howto.html
>
> This URL has a clear and generic structure. I don't understand why this link
> should change. What is the benefit and need to change this structure? There are
> probably links outside the RTEMS Project which refer to the documents on
> docs.rtems.org. Anyway, if you want to change the text, I change it.

Consider RTEMS 5, it has no generated source and now we do. What went before is
now replaced. The project changes and evolves. I cannot provide you with a
reason on how to why it might change but I know if it does this link in a
released RTEMS 6 (7,8,9..) breaks.

The link is not suitable. I am asking for an agreed solution on now we change this.