Project for GSoC 2020

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Feb 17 19:51:13 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 9:42 AM Utkarsh Rai <utkarsh.rai60 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Hello Utkarsh Rai,

> I would like to contribute to the Beagleboard BSP project, in particular
> towards the improvement of the peripheral support. I have a few questions
> pertaining to the same:-
>
> 1. Is adding support for Ethernet and USB a reasonable goal for the
> duration of the GSOC?
>
> 2. FreeBSD has support for Ethernet and USB  can we port that to libbsd?
>
> 3. What are the deliverables for this project, for instance, would I be
> required to add shell support for these peripherals or maybe an example app?
>
> I have also attached a screenshot of the changed  'hello world' program
> along with this email

Thanks. It is nice to see that you already ran it successfully on the BBB.

As of now, the BBB has quite mature support including Ethernet and USB.
There is another student actively working on a proposal to expand our BBB
support a bit further. I'm not certain if there is sufficient
work/interest/mentoring available to support multiple BBB projects. You
might consider what specific projects would interest you though. You should
take a look at past years' GSoC projects documented on our wiki, they are
linked from our main 'GSoC' page.

There are also lots of interesting projects that can be done in a
BSP-agnostic way, but still could be valuable to test with the BBB. The
most important aspect about doing development with a BBB is that you can
use the JTAG, which requires some soldering and additional effort to work
with a standalone JTAG debugger.  If you don't have that, and want to work
with the BBB, it is highly recommended.