Tool Roadmap for the RTEMS Pre-Qualification

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Feb 19 19:02:52 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 8:44 AM Jose Valdez <Jose.Valdez at edisoft.pt> wrote:

> Hello Gedare,
>
> Thank you for your review.
>
> Please find my answers below.
>
> Best regards
>
> José

It might be better to have a parseable intermediate output for the
results in a well-structured format (e.g., XML, yaml, etc.). The
report in sphinx makes sense, but there should be a structured output
file that could be used for example by other report generators.

> 2) Do you consider the covoar tool as viable for code coverage? That
> is what we have been using in the community. Joel may like to
> weigh-in.
>

> [Jose] We don't know yet. Since we are currently analyzing the RTEMS Tester, we will also analyze the covoar and comeback with the conclusions.
> If the covoar presents good results I don't see why to not use it.

Great.

> 3) I want to see Clang Static Analyzer working. If there is any
> possibility you all can help move us toward that direction, I think it
> would be a great positive to the community. Coverity is difficult and
> the license we can get freely is limited. I also have plans to work on
> both Coverity and clang-analyzer improvements soon.
>

> [Jose] In the past (2018)we were able to run the CLANG static analyzer on RTEMS (we had to do a minor "dirty" modification) and we get interesting results.
> Maybe I could try to do it again and send you the steps to run the CLANG Static Analyzer, if you would like.

Yes, I would like that very much. It is something I'd like to work
into our open-source workflow if possible.

Thanks,
Gedare