SPDX License Identifier Only and Full Copy?

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Feb 26 04:46:15 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 9:18 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 26/2/20 3:06 pm, Gedare Bloom wrote:

> >> Does there need to be something about code copied into the source tree?
> >>
> >> Chris
> > Do you mean 3rd party code / code that is not licensed with 2-BSD?
> >

> Take this file ...
>
> https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/dtc/README.license
>
> Does the procedure need to manage the process a user follows to add a file like
> this? The procedure in the link covers code written by the user which is great
> but not code that is imported. Should it?
>
> Chris
OK, I think of this as 3rd party code. This case is important to
capture in our processes, and I'm glad you pointed it out. We always
strive to minimize changes to 3rd party code to enhance
maintainability. However, I could see there are benefits to adding our
own header information to 3rd party source files, in order to capture
their license information in SPDX for automated compliance checking,
if nothing else.