SPDX License Identifier Only and Full Copy?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Feb 28 06:42:04 UTC 2020

On 26/02/2020 05:51, Chris Johns wrote:

> On 26/2/20 3:46 pm, Gedare Bloom wrote:

>>> Take this file ...
>>>
>>> https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/dtc/README.license
>>>
>>> Does the procedure need to manage the process a user follows to add a file like
>>> this? The procedure in the link covers code written by the user which is great
>>> but not code that is imported. Should it?
>>>
>>> Chris
>> OK, I think of this as 3rd party code. This case is important to
>> capture in our processes, and I'm glad you pointed it out. We always
>> strive to minimize changes to 3rd party code to enhance
>> maintainability. However, I could see there are benefits to adding our
>> own header information to 3rd party source files, in order to capture
>> their license information in SPDX for automated compliance checking,
>> if nothing else.
>
> Yes there are conflicting requirements here. Maybe the procedure could suggest
> working with the upstream project adding the head?

The File Template section is a subsection of Coding Standards. Maybe we
should make it more clear that this targets code specifically written
for RTEMS.

The third-party code guide lines are still in the wiki:

https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Coding/ThirdPartyCode

We should first try to fix things with the upstream project and then
merge it back.

In the dtc example, the SPDX License Identifiers are already present in
a later version.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de