Suggestion

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Feb 28 16:25:54 UTC 2020

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 5:10 AM Christian Mauderer
<christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Hello Anmol,
>
> On 28/02/2020 10:49, Anmol Mishra wrote:
> > I can see python2 code being used. And as of 2020 python2 has been
> > depreciated but I assume everyone is aware of that. Is there any active
> > plan to shift the codebase. I am open to discussion for this.
>
> We have the problem that some long living distributions (like CentOS 7)
> still only have python2 in the default repositories. So till they run
> out of support (year 2024 for CentOS 7) we will have to write our code
> in a way that it works with python2 and 3 for everything that is daily
> use for a RTEMS user.
>
> We currently have the discussion for some special maintenance tools
> whether they can be python3 only.
>
> So as a summary: If you find any tool that works with python2 but not
> with python3 it should definitively be updated to work with both
> versions. Patches are welcome.

If there is enough work, and the work can be suitably identified, then
it can also be a possible GSoC. There are also other possibilities to
improve our existing Python code bases to adhere to some proposed
Python coding conventions, which could make a nice GSoC effort to
ensure it is done iteratively and carefully without breaking things.

If that is of interest, we can find more information, but you can also
search the archives last 3-4 months about Python.