Suggestion

Amar Takhar amar at rtems.org
Fri Feb 28 17:18:41 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-28 09:25 -0700, Gedare Bloom wrote:

> If there is enough work, and the work can be suitably identified, then
> it can also be a possible GSoC. There are also other possibilities to
> improve our existing Python code bases to adhere to some proposed
> Python coding conventions, which could make a nice GSoC effort to
> ensure it is done iteratively and carefully without breaking things.
>
> If that is of interest, we can find more information, but you can also
> search the archives last 3-4 months about Python.

There are for sure other tools that need updating to run with Python 3.7 I ran
into several while working with Chris to setup hardware CI testing using the
BBB.

The process...is not pleasant.  Lots of obtuse references and difficult items to
find to figure out how to get this all working.

Having said that, he did share some work with me that helped out immensely.  I
think a part of this project could be to turn this work into a Python utility to
allow easily building images with u-boot and FDT.

Part of this would also be a tutorial for new users to go and set up a BBB and
RPI for testing and running using this new tool and getting the new tftp proxy
and ser2net working in conjunction.

This would be a very close or near similar setup to any other BSP and is
something that RTEMS sorely lacks.

It all makes sense and isn't too bad once it's setup but but the current motto
for new users is arcane.  I think what Gedare mentioned and this  would be an
excellent GSoC project for anyone who only really needs knowledge in Python.

Part of this tutorial would involve ASCII screen captures as well as during this
process there are expected and unexpected behaviours that are best seen
visually.

Amar.