What do you want to study in GSOC 2020?

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 14:15:05 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 7:30 PM Christian Mauderer <list at c-mauderer.de>
wrote:

> [...]
> > 1. Basic Support for Trace Compass #3696
> > <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696>.
>
> A basic support has been added last year and Sebastian extended that
> quite a bit because we had a customer who needed it. I'm not sure what
> the current state is and whether there are tasks left that could be done
> in a GSoC project.
>
> > 2. RTEMS testing tool project #2927 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2927
> >.
>
> No idea what the status is. Chris?
>
> > 3. Beagle BSP: Add a flattened device tree based initialization #3784
> > <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3784>.
>
> That one is open. It would include adding some infrastructure for fdt
> based drivers. In theory you could do the same project for raspberry or
> any other board.
>
> Please note Gedares comment from the previous mail:
>
> >     Infrastructure projects are nice (FDT, dynamic linking, debugger,
> >     tracer) but need to be clearly defined ahead of time and discussed
> >     thoroughly with the community, or you risk ending up in the "long
> >     tedious discussions" when you should be coding.
>

> > 4. BSPs for Simulators #2903 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2903>.
>
> That's always open.
>
> Some simulators are easy because the board is already supported and you
> only have to find out how to start it. For these a tester integration is
> a good target. But most likely that's only small stuff and should be
> only one part of a project.
>
> Other simulators are not supported yet. In that case you have to write
> some drivers which can be a good project size.
>
> > 5. Improve the Raspberry Pi BSP #2899 <
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2899>.
>
> You already noted: The raspberry BSP isn't in the best shape. So it's
> quite open for improvement.
>
> I think that there is still some work getting it to run again. We don't
> have something with "*bcm*" in libbsd yet so most likely USB and
> Ethernet are not working yet. Could be still still be a nice task.
>
> With the difficulties getting it to run on RPi3 or RPi4 that might could
> be also a project. It seems that they are aarch64. Also I was quite
> surprised about it I didn't find a aarch64 BSP. So that would be a new
> port.
>
> Note that an aarch64 port would most likely be observed with argus eyes
> because it has the potential to be a very important port. But don't let
> that keep you bag suggesting it.
>

> > I would like to know what are the future plans for these topics.
> > What is the current status of USB and ethernet in raspberrypi?
> > Does the beagle BSP require hardware or is it possible to emulate it?
>
> I never used an emulator for Beagle. It seems that qemu supported it
> some when:
>
> https://www.cnx-software.com/2011/09/26/beagleboard-emulator-in-ubuntu-with-qemu/
>
> But I didn't find it in current qemu. So most likely it would need
> hardware.
>
> > Last year Vijay Kumar Banerjee worked on analysis and generation of gcov

Gcov integration needs a lot of work and some very detailed study of the
Gcov
framework. While it'll be a really valuable project, currently we lack
expertise
about gcov. I will not suggest you on taking gcov integration as the
project as
most of the time will be spent in discussions and reading (as Gedare
mentioned).