What do you want to study in GSOC 2020?

Niteesh gsnb.gn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 17:37:12 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 7:30 PM Christian Mauderer <list at c-mauderer.de>
wrote:

> On 03/01/2020 13:49, Niteesh wrote:
> > I have gone through previous year works and selected a few topics which
> > I found
> > interesting.
> > 1. Basic Support for Trace Compass #3696
> > <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696>.
>
> A basic support has been added last year and Sebastian extended that
> quite a bit because we had a customer who needed it. I'm not sure what
> the current state is and whether there are tasks left that could be done
> in a GSoC project.
>
> > 2. RTEMS testing tool project #2927 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2927
> >.
>
> No idea what the status is. Chris?
>
> > 3. Beagle BSP: Add a flattened device tree based initialization #3784
> > <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3784>.
>
> That one is open. It would include adding some infrastructure for fdt
> based drivers. In theory you could do the same project for raspberry or
> any other board.
>
> Please note Gedares comment from the previous mail:
>
> >     Infrastructure projects are nice (FDT, dynamic linking, debugger,
> >     tracer) but need to be clearly defined ahead of time and discussed
> >     thoroughly with the community, or you risk ending up in the "long
> >     tedious discussions" when you should be coding.
>

> > 4. BSPs for Simulators #2903 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2903>.
>
> That's always open.
>
> Some simulators are easy because the board is already supported and you
> only have to find out how to start it. For these a tester integration is
> a good target. But most likely that's only small stuff and should be
> only one part of a project.
>
> Other simulators are not supported yet. In that case you have to write
> some drivers which can be a good project size.
>
> > 5. Improve the Raspberry Pi BSP #2899 <
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2899>.
>
> You already noted: The raspberry BSP isn't in the best shape. So it's
> quite open for improvement.
>
> I think that there is still some work getting it to run again. We don't
> have something with "*bcm*" in libbsd yet so most likely USB and
> Ethernet are not working yet. Could be still still be a nice task.

Why don't we use the driver's from other sources as a reference and create
our
own, for USB https://github.com/Chadderz121/csud this could be used as a
reference, U-boot, and Linux are good sources too. But is it worth the
effort for a
BSP like raspberry pi? There is also a c++ bare metal environment called
circle
https://github.com/rsta2/circle which supports USB(
https://github.com/rsta2/uspi)
and ethernet.

Christian, can you check out this https://github.com/0xabu/qemu/wiki it
partially supports
USB, can you give it a try?

> With the difficulties getting it to run on RPi3 or RPi4 that might could
> be also a project. It seems that they are aarch64. Also I was quite
> surprised about it I didn't find a aarch64 BSP. So that would be a new
> port.

Rpi3 looks for kernel7.img if it finds one, it boots into 32bit mode, so if
the, offset is the only difference
between rpi2 and rpi3 it should boot without any issues I'll try adding the
AUX uart driver
and see if it boots on Rpi3.

I would also like to discuss about the FDT infrastructure for RTEMS, I
would like to know what are
the requirements, what could be expected in a short span of 3months, what
could be used as a reference
and so on.

Note that an aarch64 port would most likely be observed with argus eyes