What do you want to study in GSOC 2020?

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Fri Jan 3 19:59:30 UTC 2020

On 03/01/2020 18:37, Niteesh wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 7:30 PM Christian Mauderer <list at c-mauderer.de
> <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/01/2020 13:49, Niteesh wrote:
>     > I have gone through previous year works and selected a few topics
>     which
>     > I found
>     > interesting.
>     > 1. Basic Support for Trace Compass #3696
>     > <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696>.
>
>     A basic support has been added last year and Sebastian extended that
>     quite a bit because we had a customer who needed it. I'm not sure what
>     the current state is and whether there are tasks left that could be done
>     in a GSoC project.
>
>     > 2. RTEMS testing tool project #2927
>     <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2927>.
>
>     No idea what the status is. Chris?
>
>     > 3. Beagle BSP: Add a flattened device tree based initialization #3784
>     > <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3784>.
>
>     That one is open. It would include adding some infrastructure for fdt
>     based drivers. In theory you could do the same project for raspberry or
>     any other board.
>
>     Please note Gedares comment from the previous mail:
>
>     >     Infrastructure projects are nice (FDT, dynamic linking, debugger,
>     >     tracer) but need to be clearly defined ahead of time and discussed
>     >     thoroughly with the community, or you risk ending up in the "long
>     >     tedious discussions" when you should be coding.
>

>     > 4. BSPs for Simulators #2903 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2903>.
>
>     That's always open.
>
>     Some simulators are easy because the board is already supported and you
>     only have to find out how to start it. For these a tester integration is
>     a good target. But most likely that's only small stuff and should be
>     only one part of a project.
>
>     Other simulators are not supported yet. In that case you have to write
>     some drivers which can be a good project size.
>
>     > 5. Improve the Raspberry Pi BSP #2899
>     <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2899>.
>
>     You already noted: The raspberry BSP isn't in the best shape. So it's
>     quite open for improvement.
>
>     I think that there is still some work getting it to run again. We don't
>     have something with "*bcm*" in libbsd yet so most likely USB and
>     Ethernet are not working yet. Could be still still be a nice task.
>

> Why don't we use the driver's from other sources as a reference and
> create our
> own, for USB https://github.com/Chadderz121/csud this could be used as a
> reference, U-boot, and Linux are good sources too. But is it worth the
> effort for a
> BSP like raspberry pi? There is also a c++ bare metal environment called
> circle
> https://github.com/rsta2/circle which supports
> USB(https://github.com/rsta2/uspi)
> and ethernet.

The reason for using libbsd is that its already there and therefore its
easy to add for all chips that are supported (and raspberry is supported
in FreeBSD).

U-Boot and Linux can't be used most of the time due to license issues.
Both have a GPL license which isn't usable in a lot of RTEMS
applications (industrial, automotive, ...). There shouldn't be any GPL
code in the core repository and we tend to avoid libraries if there are
alternatives.

> Christian, can you check out this https://github.com/0xabu/qemu/wiki it
> partially supports
> USB, can you give it a try?

RTEMS with libbsd doesn't yet have a USB support committed for the
raspberry. Do you mean try it with Linux or Windows? Did you already
test something? What do you want to find out?

>     With the difficulties getting it to run on RPi3 or RPi4 that might could
>     be also a project. It seems that they are aarch64. Also I was quite
>     surprised about it I didn't find a aarch64 BSP. So that would be a
>     new port.
>

> Rpi3 looks for kernel7.img if it finds one, it boots into 32bit mode, so
> if the, offset is the only difference
> between rpi2 and rpi3 it should boot without any issues I'll try adding
> the AUX uart driver
> and see if it boots on Rpi3.

Don't forget to add a "kernel_address=0x00200000" line if you use the
linker file like it is currently there in RTEMS.

> I would also like to discuss about the FDT infrastructure for RTEMS, I
> would like to know what are
> the requirements, what could be expected in a short span of 3months,
> what could be used as a reference
> and so on.

We use a lot of FreeBSD stuff (because it has a matching license and is
quite well designed most of the time). So I would suggest to take a look
how the FDT stuff works in FreeBSD and whether we can adopt or port the
interface - maybe slightly adapted to RTEMS needs like having an early
initialization for the console driver. Porting or implementing that and
adapting a few drivers as proof of concept should be possible in the
given time if you discuss the basic direction before the coding starts.

Please note (for any project you pick): If there is some unexpected work
along the way, the initial plan can be adapted. So don't be afraid that
you might not manage to get everything done. In such a case you just
have to talk to your mentor (which you should do anyway on a regular basis).