Raspberry Pi test report

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Jan 20 22:12:07 UTC 2020

On 6/1/20 9:42 am, Alan Cudmore wrote:
> I finally found the time to try the latest RTEMS head on my collection of
> Raspberry Pi models.
> The last time I tried to run RTEMS on a Pi, I had trouble with the current
> version of the Raspberry Pi Firmware, so I had to go back to a specific tag on
> the Rasberry Pi firmware repository to get RTEMS to work. This time, the head of
> the firmware repository seems to work (at least on the single core models)
>
> To keep things simple, I'm just going address the single core models here, I can
> follow up after I finish testing the Raspberry Pi 2.
>
> Test Setup:
> I used the git.rtems.org <http://git.rtems.org> rtems master from Jan 03 2020.
> I used the Raspberry Pi firmware from the same date.
> The firmware can be found here:
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
> To boot an RTEMS image, you can copy all files from the above "boot" directory
> on a DOS formatted SD/MicroSD card along with the RTEMS image (more about that
> in a minute).
> On the SD card, I deleted the "dtb" files, as well as the overlay directory. I
> dont think these are necessary to boot an RTEMS image.

Interesting. Do you think support for this could be added to the RTEMS boot
image tool?

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/tools/boot-image.html

It would be nice if we can automate the creation of an SD card image and
abstract the low level host things needed to manage an SD card.

I wonder if an option could be added to download and cache the boot files then
that are copied to the SD card with the kernel image and a suitable config.