[GSoC 2020: Daily Update]: Building EPICS with RTEMS5

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Jul 6 00:07:43 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020, 6:12 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 6/7/20 12:47 am, Heinz Junkes wrote:
> > Thank you, this is exactly where I was unsure.
> > @Chris: Can you give a recommendation here?
> > Danke Heinz

> > Fritz-Haber-Institut    | Phone:         (+49 30) 8413-4270
> > Heinz Junkes             | Fax (G3+G4):   (+49 30) 8413-5900
> > Faradayweg 4-6        | VC: 102220181216 at bjn.vc
> > D - 14195 Berlin        | E-Mail:        junkes at fhi-berlin.mpg.de

> >> On 5. Jul 2020, at 16:20, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> exactly this combination of RTEMS4.10 and EPICS7?

> way. Please tell how to begin or some existing similar
> for  RTEMS4.10 and EPICS7.
> >>>

> >> I don't know if this is best. RSB didn't exist in 4.10. I haven't
> >> looked to see how well the rtems-source-builder/4.10 would support a
> >> package build. It should be discussed with Chris probably. A couple of
> >> packages were added in the 4.11 branch.
>
> I would leave 4.10 and move on. It may work but these things can expose
> issues
> that turn into distractions.
>
> Would making a script that does the build so we can document the steps be
> worth
> while

Yes. Emphatically yes. We need to make sure we know how it is best built by
hand to automate it.

I firmly believe you should not attempt to automate something until doing
it manually is well understood and documented.

After you have this down for one BSP, we need to ask questions like:

+ Is there any per BSP tailoring beyond the obviod architecture and
compilation settings?

+ Any tweaks to settings users may want?

The manual process should include testing. The RSB is a great way to
automate and ease building but it doesn't address testing the packages yet.

--joel