[GSoC 2020: Daily Update]: Building EPICS with RTEMS5

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sat Jul 11 14:53:49 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020, 9:46 AM Heinz Junkes <junkes at fhi-berlin.mpg.de> wrote:

> It's not my experience.
>
> I made my first attempts with RTEMS5 for a beatnik-board (MVME6100).
> For this I created the BSP like this:
>
>  cd build/b-beatnik
>     ../../rtems/configure --enable-maintainer-mode
> --prefix=$HOME/RTEMS/rtems-5 --target=powerpc-rtems5
> --enable-rtemsbsp="beatnik" --enable-posix --enable-cxx --enable-networking
>
> Through "--enable-networking" I was able to use the "old" rtems-bsdnet.
> With NTP, NFS etc. .
>
> At the moment I am in the process of using the "new" netbsd. For this I am
> no longer allowed to specify "--enable-networking" when building the bsp.
> That's what it says
> in the documentation and it works. The old NFS also works with it, it just
> lacks NTP (or PTP). And what I still miss very much is the support for the
> RTC and above all
> the libpci to access the vmebus.
> So I played a little with xilinx-zynq and beaglebone. Now I make the
> rtems_init at EPICS dependent on
> xilinx_zynq_zedboard/make/bsp.cfg:HAS_NETWORKING = no (new bsdlib)
> beatnik/make/bsp.cfg:HAS_NETWORKING = yes (old rtemsbsd code)

This is good to hear. Maybe it is in an ifdef in EPICS. Still not sure why
it would include that file though. It doesn't appear to be anywhere except
libbsd.

So the beatnik works with the new stack. That's good news. Do you happen to
know about the mvme3100 or any of the motorola_powerpc boards? It looks
like the drivers are in libbsd but I don't think anyone has reported them
working.

--joel