BSP for pico and microzed

Christian Mauderer oss at c-mauderer.de
Fri Jul 31 20:35:07 UTC 2020

On 31/07/2020 22:26, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 3:04 PM Jonathan Brandmeyer
> <jbrandmeyer at planetiq.com <mailto:jbrandmeyer at planetiq.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:43 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org
>     <mailto:joel at rtems.org>> wrote:
>
>         Hi
>
>         Do any of the existing Zynq variants work on those? I recall
>         posts about using them but not which variant was used.
>

>     The zedboard BSP works as-is on the microzed.  However, you almost
>     certainly want to set BSP_ZYNQ_RAM_LENGTH=1024M to get access to all
>     of the DRAM.
>
>     The BSP also works as-is on the 7020 and 7030 Zynq family members as
>     well.
>

> Thanks.
>
> Anyone with suggestions on how to make this more obvious? Should we add
> a couple more BSP variants here like we have in the SPARC BSPs to make
> things clear to end users?
>
> --joel

Hello Joel,

first a confirmation from my side: I had to do with a customer board
that used a Picozed 7030 just recently. It worked well. If you need a
more detailed configure line, I can look it up.

I don't think that adding more BSP variants would be an optimal solution
if no adaption is necessary for a specific variant. That will only lead
to a longer build time if you want to build all BSPs.

How about adding a bit more information like a list of boards the BSP
can handle in the user manual? We have a big Board Support Packages
section for that:

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/bsps/index.html

I did something like that when I extended the imx BSP to support
i.mx6ul/ull too:

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/bsps/bsps-arm.html#id11

Best regards

Christian