Use of RTEMS_GLOBAL in non-multiprocessing configurations?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Jun 15 16:13:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:52 AM Sebastian Huber <

> Hello,
>
> should the use of RTEMS_GLOBAL be an error in rtems_semaphore_create(),
> rtems_task_create(), rtems_message_queue_create(), and
> rtems_partition_create() if RTEMS was configured without multiprocessing
> enabled?

Based on the original use cases, I would say no. The idea was that you
could create
objects and attach to them to limit cohesion. The intention was to avoid
the use of
global variables for sharing object Ids.  If I offer a service via a
message queue
globally and my library/service is deployed in a non-MP configuration, it
should still
work. For tasks, that would imply events. For partitions, it just means the
memory is
available to "the system" which is a single processor.

--joel