RTEMS Release Notes Generator - GSoC Project

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Mar 4 16:37:18 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 8:59 AM Denil Verghese <denilcv3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I'll check it out.
>
> On Wed, 4 Mar, 2020, 7:54 AM Chris Johns, <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/3/20 1:04 pm, Denil Verghese wrote:
>> > I've read the ticket page at https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3314, but it was
>> > last modified a couple of years ago. I would like to know if there are any
>> > changes or information that are missing from the ticket.
>> >
>> > I have intermediate knowledge on python, have a good grasp on both HTML and CSS
>> > and basic level on XML.
>>
>> Thank you for the interest.
>>
>> I have updated the ticket. The existing work can be found in this repo ...
>>
>> https://github.com/dh0072/ReleaseNotesGenerator
>>

>> There is working code to fetch the tickets from Trac. The next stage is to
>> generate ReST output from the data that can built into HTML or PDF by Sphinx
>

> I will complete the remaining task.Will the project good enough for GSoC or should I do some additional work?

It doesn't quite sound like enough work.  You will want to identify a
set of tasks that you can work on either incrementally to continue
improving the release notes generator. One idea could be around
license compliance such as auditing license information and creating a
manifest for a release, which might be useful

>> There is existing MarkDown support but it not right or suitable for use. I am
>> not sure how usable that part of the code is.

And evaluating/fixing the MD support or other possible output formats
for release notes. (Plaintext? Structured/Parseable Document e.g.,
XML?)

As you write the proposal you may come up with some more ideas, and so
might the potential mentors/community members.