rtems_task_create_from_config() Name?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Sun Sep 13 14:11:52 UTC 2020

Hello Joel,

On 12/09/2020 05:38, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi
>
> Starting another thread just to discuss this method's name. I wonder
> if the config part is more important than the static allocation of
> resources part. Which should be emphasized in the name?
>
> From config puts focus on the attributes part. With static resources
> or similar puts emphasis on the other part.
>
> With config is more general but is there another mode of operation?
> Seems the static nature is more important and the name
> should.emohasize that.

I don't really like the name rtems_task_create_from_config(). The key
feature of this directive is that a user-provided thread storage area is
used instead of a system-provided. That the parameters for this new
directive are contained in a configuration structure is just an API
choice. We could also use a function with nine parameters.

I also don't like the wording "static" in this context. What we need is
a directive name for "create an Classic API task with a user-provided
thread storage area".

My favorite is still rtems_task_build().