[rtems commit] build: Fix linker path

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Sep 21 04:49:01 UTC 2020

On 21/09/2020 01:06, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 21/9/20 1:32 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Use -B for the linker since some architectures use extra start files defined by
>> the GCC specification and provided by the BSP, for example powerpc.  Start
>> files are not found by -L.
>
> This is the issue I was thinking about when we discussed the spec files the
> other day. I am wondered if a linker command file could solve this without
> reverting to spec files. I thought linker command files could specify these
> platform specific start object files and control what happens. I however could
> be wrong.

Sorry for the wrong comment in the commit message. The start files are
found by -L, the problem are the CRT begin and end files. You cannot
specify them in linker scripts. I think we already talked about this
when we moved the stuff from bsp_specs to GCC.

>> In the long run, the GCC defined start files should be provided by GCC.  This
>> is a GCC 11 topic.
>
> It would have been good to discuss this.

Without this patch its not possible to use powerpc BSPs. Now the
rtems-examples build for all BSPs with some ENOMEM exceptions:

https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Release/6/Waf%20BSP%20Checklist

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de