STM32H7 UART pins Update

Robin Müller robin.mueller.m at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 13:20:13 UTC 2021

Hi Sebastian

You recently updated the UART pins configuration, allowing different
variants.
I recently checked the CubeH7 library about pin differences between the
NUCLEO and the STM32H7 after finding out about the pin differences for the
Ethernet module and I found out some weird things. I checked the datasheet
which specifies that GPIOD PIN8 and PIN9 are the UART3 pins used for the
console / print output.

So basically, the default implementation is now okay for the Nucleo as
well. I checked bspopts.h in the RTEMS tools installation path, and the
default values GPIOD and PIN8 and PIN9 were specified here. So basically,
the build variant specifications GPIOB PIN 8 and PIN 9 are not used.

This was because of stray default-by-variant: [] in the respective BSP
files. I then tested GPIOB PIN8 and PIN 9 by setting them in default: and
those don't work as expected.

If GPIOD PIN 8 and PIN 9 work for the board variant you used then these
option specifications are obsolete now and that pin definition works for
the NUCLEO and the board you used. The former implementation used GPIOB PIN
9 and PIN 10 (
https://git.rtems.org/rtems/commit/bsps/arm/stm32h7/console/console-usart3-cfg.c?id=6600585fc8e5fa299bf1ca1e0856d44b23c195cf)
which is the reason they were not working for the NUCLEO variant.

Kind Regards
Robin