RTEMS Tools on 5 release can't be build with modern LLVM

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Aug 16 15:03:00 UTC 2021

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 9:49 AM Christian MAUDERER
<christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noted that I can't build the RTEMS 5 toolchain if I have a modern LLVM
> installed using the RTEMS source builder. Therefore I would like to
> backport the patch 37ad446d9dce3 ([1]) to the 5 branch. Is that OK? If
> someone acknowledges it, I would do the following steps without further
> review (but of course with testing):
>
> 1. Create a ticket for the problem.
> 2. In rtems-tools: Cherry pick the patch 37ad446d9dce3 to the 5 branch.
> 3. In rtems-source-builder: Backport the patch 91932d0a0 [2] to the 5
> branch (or rather re-create it because it will be a different commit and
> a different hash).

I'm ok with this. I remember doing a patch for the opposite direction.
I couldn't
build on an older gcc because it assumed a different language version as
default. gcc 4.8 as on CentOS 7 assumes C++03. Newer versions assume C++11
as the base. Similarly newer gcc's seem to default to C11.

I posted a few weeks ago that users should really be careful to always use
-std and consciously pick what they want.

--joel