[rtems commit] untar: Make behavior similar to GNU or BSD tar

Christian MAUDERER christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Fri Dec 10 07:20:29 UTC 2021

Hello Chris,

Am 09.12.21 um 22:09 schrieb Chris Johns:
> On 9/12/21 6:47 pm, Christian MAUDERER wrote:
>> Hello Chris,
>>
>> sorry that I haven't been clear enough.
>>
>> 1. The ticket #4552 that I created before sending the patch to the list and that
>> was closed by the patch was for 5.
>>
>> 2. I asked as an answer to Joels review and I understood him that he is OK with
>> that change:
>>
>>    https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2021-December/070092.html
>>
>> and
>>
>>    https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2021-December/070093.html
>
> Again sorry I missed this when I brushed over the emails.

My fault for not making it more clear. I'll try to add this kind of
information into the first mail next time.

>> Do you want me to revert that patch on 5?
>>

> It does change the expected functionality and we should be careful about doing
> that. It is not clear if someone has relied on it working this way as a cheap
> way to detect an overwrite. I am fine on RTEMS 6 because of the upgrade and a
> ticket in the release notes covering the change however if it breaks in a dot
> release then that is a different issue.

Also that would be a horrible and very fragile method to detect an
overwrite (files could still be overwritten; the archive would have to
be packed correctly with a directory at the beginning to detect it
reliable) I understand your point. Even if it is unlikely, it could be
possible that someone tested for that behavior and maybe has problems if
it changes.

> Given it is in maybe we let it sit and it there is feedback we come back and
> take another look?

No problem with that. I will try to be extra sensitive for problems with
Untar that appear on the list in the next months.

Best regards

Christian

> Chris

embedded brains GmbH