QEMU Beagleboard Emulator

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Mar 18 22:35:02 UTC 2021

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 3:58 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hi Husni,
>
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 2:28 PM Ahamed Husni <ahamedhusni73 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >    I'm new to RTEMS Project. I'm interested to work in #2891 ticket
> (Beagle BSP) for GSoC. I need a beagleboard emulator. I tried the following,
> >
> Welcome.
>
> This project is only suitable if you have access to the hardware. I
> don't think there are enough interesting things to do in the emulated
> environment, and the hardware is relatively cheap and available that
> improving the qemu support for it is not currently of interest to us
> either.

+1

The Beagle was never supported in the main Qemu source. It was
always in a Linaro maintained repository. I have no idea if it still is
there or works. But it isn't going to have any support for devices
that are not already supported in the best case.

> Perhaps, you may like to discuss what kinds of projects interest you,
> and we can brainstorm about possibilities. Also, I hope you are
> starting to work on our GSoC Getting Started guide.

There is a long list of projects and I posted a few ideas to the
devel@ list this week that are not listed there.

Our projects will be in C, C++, or Python. If you have a preferred
language, that also helps to narrow the projects. Although I
don't know that the project tickets are good at listing language.
We can help with that.

--joel