QEMU Beagleboard Emulator

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Mar 19 16:56:10 UTC 2021

Resending with the screenshots stripped out, they made the message size too
large.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 8:58 AM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 8:47 AM Ahamed Husni <ahamedhusni73 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This project is only suitable if you have access to the hardware. I
>>> don't think there are enough interesting things to do in the emulated
>>> environment, and the hardware is relatively cheap and available that
>>> improving the qemu support for it is not currently of interest to us
>>> either.
>>>

>> Thanks. Then I'll get a beagleboard within a couple of days.

  Once you have it, reproduce the Getting Started guide using the hardware.
Running hello world on the hardware is a pre-requisite task to include in
your submitted proposal to show that you can do it.

>> Perhaps, you may like to discuss what kinds of projects interest you,
>>> and we can brainstorm about possibilities. Also, I hope you are
>>> starting to work on our GSoC Getting Started guide.
>>>

>> I followed the quick-start guide and everything worked out for
>> sparc-erc32.
>> I have attached the screenshots below. Sorry for not sending them earlier.
>>
>> Please send the patch as a separate patch email.

> The Beagle was never supported in the main Qemu source. It was
>>> always in a Linaro maintained repository. I have no idea if it still is
>>> there or works. But it isn't going to have any support for devices
>>> that are not already supported in the best case.
>>>

>> Yes. The repo is not maintained now. The #2891 ticket had requested to
>> build the emulator like a prerequisite. So I tried to build the
>> qemu-linaro
>> from source, followed the blog of Ben Gras
>> <http://www.shrike-systems.com/beagleboard-xm-beaglebone-black-and-everything-else-rtems-on-the-beagles.html>
>> and a couple other ways.
>> None of them worked. Getting the hardware is the way to go. :)

  For now, add a comment to the ticket that the emulator build doesn't
work, and that hardware is required to work on this ticket/task.