Project Ideas - Basic RTEMS BSP for Cortex-R5 on Qemu

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Sun Apr 17 21:44:14 UTC 2022

Hello Alan and Kamlesh,

On Sunday 17 of April 2022 18:18:03 Alan Cudmore wrote:
> The R5 basic BSP is needed by the RTEMS community. If you get through that,
> you could look at the Xilinx code for interacting with it.
>
> Is the Xilinx R5 QEMU support generic enough for a basic BSP? Or could it
> be factored in a way that supports non-xilinx BSPs? I would not mind seeing
> a R5 BSP for the Xilinx MPSoC UltraScale+ since RTEMS has support for the
> A53 now. I thought others on this list might have already created an R5
> BSP. It looks like the Zephyr RTOS supports the Xilinx R5 QEMU model.
> https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/boards/arm/qemu_cortex_r5/doc/index.h
>tml The Timer and UART are Xilinx specific.
> https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/main/boards/arm/qemu_cort
>ex_r5
> Other than the Xilinx UltraScale+, I see there are TI AM243x processors,
> but are there any other R5 processors available?

As I have already reported that I have TMDX570LC43HDK at home.
There is even Hi-Rel version of the used TMS570LC4357-EP.
Gedare has some smaller boards with these chips as well.
I know and have located again that there are industrial
equivalents RM57L843 and RM48L740. RM are usually little
endian, all TMS570 I have met are big endian.

As I have reported already

On Saturday 16 of April 2022 16:11:02 Pavel Pisa wrote:
> As I know, the Cortex-R5 core is already supported
> by RTEMS and our TMS570LS3137 BSP has been used
> with TMS570LC4357 chips by Frankfurt University
>
>   https://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/65100666/dcs
>
> Relevant repository
>
>   https://github.com/jalmito/rtems
>
> It would worth to get mainline TMS570 BSP compatible with
> both chips.

I have not time to work or test that target, nor I have some
project now and I will be quite busy next months so do not
expect major contribution.

But I would be happy if the development moves forward.

But in the fact it would worth to start by QEMU
support the first and it would take whole GSoC
probably.

TI AM243x seems to be interesting from this respect
by possible high simmilarty to BeagleBone AM335x
so probably more peripherals in QEMU could be reused...

Anyway, Kamlesh Bharodiya idea to try R5 on Xilinx MPSoC
which has QEMU support seems to be reasonable start
direction. I have enticed that he has written somewhere
notice that he has some experience with Cortex-R4.
Is my understanding correct? If you have some personal
or company working on some project on this target
than it is even better.

Best wishes,

                Pavel
--
                Pavel Pisa
    phone:      +420 603531357
    e-mail:     pisa at cmp.felk.cvut.cz
    Department of Control Engineering FEE CVUT
    Karlovo namesti 13, 121 35, Prague 2
    university: http://control.fel.cvut.cz/
    company:    https://www.pikron.com/
    personal:   http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~pisa
    projects:   https://www.openhub.net/accounts/ppisa
    CAN related:http://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/
    Open Technologies Research Education and Exchange Services
    https://gitlab.fel.cvut.cz/otrees/org/-/wikis/home