Feature list only in user guide

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Apr 28 16:15:43 UTC 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 8:53 AM Frank Kühndel <
frank.kuehndel at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was looking for a list of RTEMS Features (e.g. supported language,
> drives, BSPs, etc.) I expected it on www.rtems.org and did not find
> anything till a college of mine pointed me to the excellent list in the
> RTEMS User Manual:
>
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/overview/index.html#features
>
> I would expect that a potential interested new RTEMS user would search
> such a list on the project home-page or maybe in the wiki. From a
> marketing point of view, would it not make sense to place this list or a
> link to it prominently on the home page?

It should be checked to be sure it is up to date and definitely covered
somewhere prominent.  It looks like the page we long time folks likely
think is very prominent and accessible isn't anymore. Before Trac, the
top entry page of the Wiki was this type of overview with features. I
think I found the page here in the TBR section of the Wiki.

https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/Website/What_is_RTEMS

This page (and maybe some others) likely need a refresh/rework
and linked from the top of devel.rtems.org. If you just want info and
are not trying to file a bug, that entry page is just not helping.

I'm also curious how you think it compares to the list of things used in
the first RTEMS manuals (early 90s). This is the proceedings with the first
published paper on RTEMS (Aug 1990) and a lot of what is in the manuals
as background first appeared in this paper. I expect you will recognize
early versions of figures and love the font. It looks old. See page 247 in
the PDF.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170218223058/http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a247043.pdf

I need to trim it and upload it to rtems.org.

--joel