docs not building to PDF

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Oct 11 21:47:39 UTC 2022

On 11/10/2022 7:12 pm, Frank Kühndel wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> On 10/11/22 03:09, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 10/10/2022 9:22 pm, Frank Kühndel wrote:
>>> images/filesystem/tftpfs_usage.png:
>>> https://share.embedded-brains.de/index.php/s/fQ4WrLrqmBjcbwC
>> I have a greyed out image I cannot clearly see?
>
> The image has a transparent background. Some image viewers put a gray pattern in
> the background in those case. The PDF has naturally a white background on top of
> which the image is displayed.
>

>>> images/filesystem/ftpfs_usage.svg:
>>> https://share.embedded-brains.de/index.php/s/xk7kArkm6mbjcn2
>>>
>>> The SVG file is the source for the PNG. Both files must be placed in the
>>> images/filesystem folder.
>> How is the SVG file created and how can it be edited?
>
> I used Inkscape. It should be possible to edit it with (almost) any tool that
> supports SVG.

I tried with https://pixelied.com/features/svg-editor and it was a mess.

My concern is the widgets (or whatever they are called) a tool has may not be
available in another.

> Your Web-Browser should be able to display SVG directly when you
> point it to the file like for example: file:///home/<user-name>/tftpfs_usage.svg
>
> You can recreate the PNG with Inkscape on the command line with:
>
> $ inkscape --export-dpi=300 --export-filename=tftpfs_usage.png tftpfs_usage.svg

We have a number of images in the doco created using PlantUML. Did you consider
using that tool? It has the advantage the images can be regenerated from the
source as part of the build if PlantUML and Ditaa are installed and we get a
consistent looking set of images.