libbsd development policy clarification needed?

Christian MAUDERER christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Fri Feb 3 06:24:46 UTC 2023

Hello Karel,

On 2023-02-02 12:43, Karel Gardas wrote:

>    Guys,
>
> recently I needed to work with RTEMS/NFS. As this is provided by libbsd
> I took this and following two sentences below from master branch
> description provided in README I took as granted that master does have
> all the features which are currently available and provided by the project:
>
> "This branch must be used for libbsd development. Back ports to the
> 6-freebsd-12 are allowed."
>
> I was surprised to be proven wrong then by Fabrizio here:
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/4723
>
> and by later investigation which shows that 6-freebsd-12 branch
> accumulated NFS work by Chris done in 2021 which is not presented on
> master. I've investigated just NFS as this was my focus here.
>
> So if 6-freebsd-12 became development branch of some sort, then it would
> be great to have that clarified in the project README file to prevent
> users confusion? Or if the policy is still the same, then perhaps some
> branch sync is needed here?

That currently is an open issue. Basically there is a pending patch set
that should fix that since several months. But there is a disagreement
about some of the changes in that patch set (and about the patches
checked in to 6-freebsd-12). Therefore, it still hasn't been merged.

If you want to know some more about the problematic points, I recommend
reading this (long) thread:

https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2023-January/074164.html

The statement that development has to happen on the master branch is
still true. The master is intended to track the FreeBSD upstream
development. Only changes on that branch are guaranteed to live through
an upgrade to a newer base version of FreeBSD. It's very unfortunate,
that there are some patches on the 6-freebsd-12 branch only. On the long
term, that issue has to be resolved.

Best regards

Christian

> I'm fine with either way, as a user I just need clear not confusing
> project message...
>
> Thanks!
> Karel

embedded brains GmbH