RTEMS PPP stack

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Fri Aug 4 05:18:55 UTC 2000

Hello to all,

> Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
> >
> > I might need to do some work with a PPP connection to
> > Windows machines initially, and later linux.
> >
> > I would appreacite if somebody ( Eric !!! ), could tell
> > me the state of the PPP stack under RTEMS.

I have done major reworks to the PPP sources available in RTEMS, with
the aim of a more general adaptation to the actual hardware drivers.
I have a private configuration more or less up and running...

My modifications included:

- separating the PPP device driver from the hardware dependent code
- adding "line discipline" support to termios
- adding task-driven mode to the termios serial driver model

There is still a bug my the task-driven driver model code, (and I am
VERY short in time currently) therefore I did not yet feed back a
patch.

Nevertheless I have a configuration with rtems-4.0.0 runing connected
to WinNT.

Configuration of the PPP connection (dial strings etc) is not very
elegant now, I did not modify this compared to the sources found in
the current snapshots.

I can send you a snapshot of the package, but would like to finish my
changes before giving it back to the public....
Bye,
	Thomas.

> >  + Is it being tested with Windows NT ?
> >  + Where should I start ?
>
> I can't answer the NT question but I can say that
> although it has been made to work by others, its
> configuration and intialization are not where
> they should be.  It is a port of off-the-shelf
> PPP code so the core PPP code itself should be OK.
>
> I think there is a dialer and example modem driver.
> Ideally, it would be layered so you could use
> standard termios drivers.
>
> Basically, it is there and could stand some use
> and improvement on integration.
>
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Rosimildo da Silva            rdasilva at connectel.com
> > ConnectTel, Inc.              Austin, TX -- USA
> > Phone : 512-338-1111          Fax : 512-918-0449
> > Mobile: 512-632-7579
> > Company Page: http://www.connecttel.com
> > Home Page: http://members.xoom.com/rosimildo/
>
> --
> joel at OARcorp.com                 On-Line Applications Research
>    Support Available             (256) 722-9985

D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
email:    Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de