file system support

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Sun Mar 19 16:48:21 UTC 2000

At 16:34 16/03/00 -0600, you wrote:
> >          I am using my own set  of routines implementing FAT16 FS without
> > subdirectories, but this isn't "RTEMS system integrated".
>
>I think we have discussed this before but I don't recall what
>media the FAT16 filesystem ended up on.
>
>The filesystem infrastructure was not intended to be that difficult
>to integrate with.  Perhaps it is a good time to begin looking at
>how to integrate it.  One question to be answered is what device
>driver model does it assume underneath it.
         My main obstacles were the non-UNIX development environment - I
worked with S.Johnson's porting of RTEMS to CodeWarrier and therefor I have
no NEWLIB, etc.
         Just now the version I put on my FTP site (  ftp.plris.com/FAT16 )
uses RTEMS driver AS I UNDERSTOOD IT. The driver works with PCMCIA ATA
flash cassette, but with very minimal changes will work with PC IDE.
         Pro and contra for this code:
Contra:
- It is in charge of one FAT copy (DOS requires 2)
- It has no subdirectories (mainly because the API is not based on NEWLIB)
- Root directory is now one sector length only. This must be recalculated
from the information to be read from boot block.
Pro:
- It works without problems for more than 10 months.
         To my pity, I am busy now with several projects (one of which is
transferring everything to Linux environment to have TCP/IP), so I can not
pay much attention to this part of the project. But I shall be glad to help
as I can.

Best Regards

Leon Pollak
leonp at plris.com