RPMs

Thu May 25 19:38:39 UTC 2000

"Michael P. Collins on korat" wrote:

>   Has anyone using a Linux distribution other than Redhat found
> success using the RPMs on the ftp site?  I know of a package
> called alien which (IIRC) allows packages from various distributions
> to be converted/decoded/whatever so they can be installed on
> others, however I haven't tried it.  In my case, I use Debian
> distributions.  In the past, I've built from source successfully,
> but the option of installing pre-built binaries is attractive.
>
>   Until the ".deb" packages are available, would the RPMs do me
> any good?

We have installed Alien here and have used it to produce
debians and .tgz's.  The next round of RPMs will include them
along with updates to gccnewlib and gdb.  [Sorry not to 5.0.]

FWIW .. if someone wants to start looking at how much broken
the RTEMS gdb patch is for 5.0, it would be greatly appreciated
It any updating problems just magically got fixed, binaries
would appear soon afterwards. :)