mvme2306

Thu Apr 19 17:23:13 UTC 2001

"D. Peter Siddons" wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I'm trying to set up RTEMS for this ppc-based vme card, mvme2306.
> It is identical to the supported mvme2307 except it has less RAM.
> RTEMS builds without problems, but I don't know how to boot the
> resulting .exe file (e.g. hello.exe). I have PPCbug set up to
> download the file using tftp, and that works OK, but simply loading
> the .exe fails with an illegal instruction. Do I need to reformat the
> file somehow? Sorry for the (probably)trivial question, but I am just
> getting started.....

Refer to the make/custom/mcp750.cfg for some "advice".  There
mvme2307.cfg file was not updated to reflect the way to build
a downloadable image in a manner that would work both before
and after the RTEMS install.

The basic idea is that you need a binary image with the bootloader
and a zipped image of the executable.  The mcp750.cfg make-exe
rule is the one to use as a baseline.

[Remember the mcp750 and mvme230x use the same motorola_shared
BSP so the same procedure applies.]

As an aside, the current .exe is probably in elf and is being
loaded raw into your PPC memory. That is the reason for the fault.