[rtai] RTEMS RTAI module

Bernhard Kuhn bkuhn at lineo.com
Fri Aug 24 10:41:39 UTC 2001

Erwin Rol schrieb:

> Hi did anybody ever think about for example using
> a other OSS RTOS as a module to run under RTAI ?

Yes, me :-)

> In principle it should be possible to have a BSP for
> RTEMS that ends up being a linux kernel module under RTAI.

You mean having RTEMS running as an application on top
of RTAI similar to RTEMS for Linux in user space?
Sounds interessting. My former thoughts were having
RTEMS as an alternative to RTAI on top if the RTHAL,
but i abandoned the idea, because RTEMS only offers
a periodic mode scheduler.
BTW: i recently had contacts with developers at
OAR and it seems that they like to implement a
oneshot mode scheduler ...

With your idea, it realy means only to have to
provide an RTAI-BSP for RTEMS and everything
should work fine. This would certainly make
RTAI more interessting to other ppl out there
using RTEMS for quite a while.

best regards

Bernhard

BTW: at the research institute i worked for a while,
we started running RTEMS in parallel with Linux
on an SMP box, means: one CPU is fully dedicated
to RTEMS, (ab)using it's 512 KB Cache as RAM.
No TLB invalidation and no Cache flushing :-)

--
Bernhard Kuhn, Software Engineer, Lineo Inc. (Where Open Meets Smart)