hello_world Only compiles.

Joel Sherrill joel at OARcorp.com
Mon Aug 27 20:57:25 UTC 2001

Vivek Vaid wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have compiled my first "hello world" program, and transferrd it to a
> 486pc through Etherboot. I was very glad, as the manual is very precise.
>
> But I am not able to compile any other sample programs.
>
> The env. variable RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH is set properly.
>
> The error I get when i try to compile any other example it :
> "
> /opt/rtems/pc386/lib/include/confdefs.h:1005: #error "CONFIGURATION
> ERROR: No tasks or threads configured!!
> #endif
> "

By default RTEMS configures as few resources as possible.  This error
indicates that you
have not configured any tasks.  The hello world example has something
like this line in it:

#define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_TASKS 1

or something like that.  See this URL for details on the confdefs.h
constants:

http://usa.oarcorp.com/rtemsdoc-4.5.0/rtemsdoc/html/c_user/c_user00365.html

> I noticed that, this error should come if one of the #define's is not
> present in c file calling confdefs.h But in all sample programs, it is
> done.
>
> My directory structure of the sources of examples is.
>
> /home/src/examples/
> 		/hello
> 		/cxx
> 		/
> /home/src/hello
> /home/src/net
> 	/netdemo
> 	..
>
> I am able to compile Both The Hello Demos (in different
> directories). But not any netdemo, or other example.
>
> Please let me know, what mistake I am making.
>
> Do I need to re-compile the full rtems, for each sample program ?

No way.  :)  I suspect you defined it after including confdefs.h.  All
CONFIGURE_
constants must be defined before include the .h file to alter the behavior.