PC-104

Joel Sherrill joel at OARcorp.com
Mon Aug 20 21:03:16 UTC 2001

rwas wrote:

> Angelo Fraietta wrote:
>
>> Do you have a supplier. I am interested in using PC104
>

> Yup.
>
> The processor board (MOPS/586), the starter kit (PC/104SK-1) (with ISA
> adapter) as well as the chip
>   disk and ram was ordered from EMJ:
>
> www.emjembedded.com
>                                        Jumptec url: www.jumptec.com
>
> The DAC board (RMM-4-XT) was ordered from Diamon Systems:
>
> www.diamondsys.com
>

> The ethernet module (HS-813) (NE2000 compatible) was ordered from
> Square One Industries
>
> www.square1industries.com
>
> The prototype board (AX10460) was ordered from Axiom:
>
> www.axiomtek.com
>
> I went the crystal site and found a number of driver source packages
> for their chip: cs8900.

There is a cs8900 libchip driver in the current source code submitted by
Chris Johns <ccj at acm.org>.

This is a nice looking setup. :)

> One of the
> drivers was for psos. Was'nt RTEMS derived from psos?

<rant mode ON>

No, no, no, and I repeat no. :)   There is no source code in RTEMS that
is derived
from psos, psos+ or any other product of Software Components Group (SCG)
or any
of the other names they had (ISI, WRS).  We are quite defensive about
this since
any misinformation can lead to trouble.

RTEMS is based upon a proposed standard called the Real-Time Executive
Interface Definition (RTEID) which was submitted by SCG in conjunction
by Motorola (VMEexec) to the VMEbus Industry Trade Association (VITA)
in the late 1980's, early 1980's.  This was an open standardization
effort and was later
reworked to become the Open Real-time Kernel Interface Definition (ORKID)..
This effort was formally folded into the POSIX Real-Time/Threads work.

So RTEMS is based upon the proposed open standard RTEID which looks
a lot like pSOS+/VMEexec because RTEID was in many ways an attempt
to standardize that API.

At a very high level, we in the free software/open source community need to
be very careful about honoring copyrights and licensing agreements.
Anything
that would lead a proprietary software vendor to believe that a free
alternative
is based upon stolen code could easily lead down a very bad path consuming
resources that would be better spent improving the product.

<rant mode off>

The technical answer is that although pSOS+ application code should run on
with few modifications, pSOS+ driver code is likely to be another matter
entirely.  I would HIGHLY recommend using the cs8900 libchip driver.
I am sure Chris would be happy to answer the few questions needed to
get it up on that hardware. :)

Wow!!  That was a lot of a response. Someday, we will all have to discuss
this all over beer/wine. :)