Runtime network configuration

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Tue Feb 20 17:17:44 UTC 2001

Andrew Bythell wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> This question is about network configuration at run-time.  I am using
> the latest RTEMS snapshot with the gen68360 BSP.
>
> I store network settings in an EEPROM. Currently I declare global
> rtems_bsdnet_ifconfig and rtems_bsdnet_configuration structures,
> allocate memory for these structures, then copy the data from the EEPROM
> into the allocated structures.  Then I call
> rtems_bsdnet_initialize_network.
>
> Is this the best approach?

Sounds reasonable.

Do I have to make these variables global?

rtems_bsdnet_config must be global.  The network driver configuration
structure can be static since rtems_bsdnet_config contains a pointer to
it.

> What I am finding is that BOOTP/DHCP works fine, but using static
> settings causes "Destination Host Unreachable" after some time.  I feel
> the source of the problem must be the way I'm assigning the gateway
> address.

Have you used the rtems_bsdnet_show_inet_routes() routine to print the
routing tables?  Perhaps it will show you what's different between the
BOOTP/DHCP configuration and the static configuration.

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.