Any news on GCC 3+ and GNAT/RTEMS?

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Aug 22 09:43:02 UTC 2002

Am Don, 2002-08-22 um 11.08 schrieb VALETTE Eric:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > There should be rpms somewhere at ftp.oarcorp.com.
>
> I use a non rpm based distribution.
>

> > If wanting to build them yourselves:
> >
> > untar RTEMS's source tarball
> > and
> > cd rtems-<version>/scripts
> > ./configure --prefix=/opt/rtems
> > make
> > cd autotools
> > rpm -ba autoconf-rtems.spec
> > [become root if necessary]
> > rpm -U <path>/autoconf-rtems-<version>.noarch.rpm
> > rpm -ba automake-rtems.spec
> > [become root if necessary]
> > rpm -U <path>/automake-rtems-<version>.noarch.rpm
> >
> > Afterwards make sure to have set
> > PATH=/opt/rtems/bin:$(PATH)
> > if working at RTEMS.
>
> Ralf,
>
> First thanks for responding. Then unfortunately, as I'm not a
> autoconf/automake expert, I do not understand what you suggest + I use a
> non RPM based linux distribution (OK I have converter but If I want to
> compile a solaris host I will not have rpm...).
>
> So first question that comes in mind and make be inrelevant : do you
> have specific rtems patch for the autoconf or automake software
No.

> or can I install the regular distribution?

Yes, the details of how the autotools are built can be found in inside
of autoconf-rtems.spec and automake-rtems.spec

It basically is the standard procedure to install the packages, ie.

cd <somewhere>
tar xzvf autoconf-2.52.tar.gz
cd autoconf-2.52
./configure --prefix=/opt/rtems
make install

cd <somewhere>
tar xzvf automake-1.6.3.tar.gz
cd automake-1.6.3
./configure --prefix=/opt/rtems
make install

The rpm.specs add some "nice-to-have" convenience stuff to these
packages (man-page generation etc.), but this is not necessary for
proper operation. The sequence above should be sufficient.

> Next question is what are the command you have documented supposed to do
> (if I have no rpm command, I must make it differently and understand
> what really needs to be done).

I don't fully understand your question, but you seem to be asking what
the "cd scripts; ./configure ... etc." I described in my previous mail
does.

It generates the rpm.specs for all RTEMS's  rpms, including the
autotools, binutils, gcc/newlib, gdb, and further packages.

Ralf