Problems with GCC for ARM

Jay Monkman jtm at smoothsmoothie.com
Wed Dec 18 18:12:21 UTC 2002

I tried these with the two compilers I have:
	gcc-2.95.3, dated 20010315
	gcc-3.2.1, dated 20021203

> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2000-06/msg00705.html

Didn't happen with either.

> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2002-08/msg00100.html

Happened with 2.95.3, but not 3.2.1. However if I use -O3, it doesn't
happen - most of the code is optimized away.

> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2002-11/msg00168.html

This looks like a repeat of the previous one, but no test code to
test.

> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/356/2000/9/50/4412642

Again, no test code, but I'm guessing it's the same as the first test
above.

We've been using 2.95.3 for our development, but we use -O3.
I just looked through most of our builds for a 'tst' instruction
followed by an instruction that sets the condition registers, and
couldn't find any.

We've got a bunch of systems in use and I don't think we've run into
any erratic behavior that isn't our fault. With a different
application, that statement might not hold, though.

--
Jay Monkman	    The truth knocks on the door and you say "Go away, I'm
                    looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.