boostrap failing

Fri Jan 11 18:00:33 UTC 2002

> Hi,
>

>             We have RTEMS 4.5.0 working fine on other workstations but can't get bootstrap to work on a new PC with SuSE 7.3.  I put part of the error message below.
>

> I'm sure I've missed something simple but for the life of me I can't figure out what.
>

> I used the pre-built RTEMS 4.5.0 toolset Linux rpms (Including the m68k packages) and I've added the location of the toolset and the RTEMS_MAKFILE to my path
>

> My autoconf is 2.52.44 and automake is 1.4p5-44 if that's interesting.

I think that's the problem.  SuSE has updated the autoconf package. Ralf
and I talked about this a while back expecting this to occur eventually
in various distributions.  The problem boils down to tools (including
RTEMS) that use autoconf/automake can end up being dependent on
particular versions of those tools.  In this case, RTEMS 4.5-X uses
autoconf 2.13 and automake 1.4p5.  RTEMS snapshots past the Aug/Sept
timeframe require autoconf 2.52 and automake 1.5.

Notice what I have on the main RTEMS development machine.

bash$ rpm -qa | grep auto
autoconf-2.13-5
automake-1.4-6
autoconf-rtems-2.52-0
automake-rtems-1.5-0

The rtems ones are in /opt/rtems.  When I work with snapshots, I
bootstrap
with those at the fron of my PATH.  Otherwise I use the ones shipped
with
the OS.

For now, you need to install autoconf 2.13 somewhere that does not
conflict with the default version installed and use that to bootstrap.

--joel